Tom van Dyck
Tom van Dyck saxophone
- In 1993 He worked for three months Indonesia with a Dutch soul and funk band under leadership of David Rockefeller.
- During the season '93-'94 he lead a hardbopquintet with Jan Muës, Ernst Vranckx, Eric Thielemans and Bas Kooimans in jazz club "The Sounds" in Brussels.
- In 1994 he goes on tour with the Rotterdam Conservatory big band conducted by Bob Brookmeyer en Ab Schaap. The play concerts at the I.A.J.E. conference in Boston and in "The Village Vanguard", New York. In 1995 he plays with the same big band at the international "Jakfest" in Jakarta.
- In 1996 he wins the second prize in the finale for the "Erasmus Jazz Prize" in Rotterdam. Since then he leads his on group "Pentachrome" (at the moment with Eric Thielemans, Laurent Blondiau, Guus Bakker en Andreas Suntrop) for which he composes all their music.
- In July '97 he wins with the band "Geel!" (For which he composed half of their repertoire) the second prize at the GETXO-festival (Bilbao) and in March '98 he wins with the same band the first prize at the "Dutch Jazz Contest". In July '98 this band plays at the "NorthSea Jazz festival".
- In '99 he wins the first prize with the 'Tim Vets quartet' (conducted by Tim Vets, with Kurt Van Herck & Oene van Geel) at the Jazz contest of Helmond (Holland).
- Tom Played the baritone saxophone in Michel Bisceglia's "Animo & cinema", with amongst others Ben Sluys (as), Frank De Ruyter (ts), Laurent Blondiau (tpt), Jan Nihoul (vibes), Kurt Budé (bscl).
- He was the saxophone player in Augustin Foly's "Da Funkamental Bass Project" with Patrick D'orcean (dms), Manu Codjia (git), Viveka Turrentine (voc).
- He was the instigator of the quartet 'Odds On' with Kris Duerinckx (ds), Mark Haanstra (bs) an Andreas Suntrop (git). They released their first album 'About Time' (DiffRec 001) in 2002.
- He's the instigator, arranger/composer and baritone saxophone player of ‘Saxkartel’, a saxophone quartet with Robin Verheyen (sopsx), Sara Meyer (asx) and Kurt Van Herck (tsx). In 2004 their first album 'Airdance' (Igloo IGL175) is released.
- In 2005 he arranges the music for Saxkartel based on a collection of medieval songs called 'Llibre Vermell'. This music is used to support a sing and dance spectacle under guidance of Liesbet Vereertbrugghen and the 'Musica'. This show was brought on the stages of the 'Dag van de oude muziek' in Alden-Biezen, in the theater 't Eilandje in Antwerp and in 'de Bijloke' in Gent.
- Since May 2005 he plays first alto sax and writes for 'Village Big Band', the house band of the well-known Brussels jazzclub 'The Music Village'. Most of the music is written by him.
- Since january 2006 he plays the baritone and writes for the big band 'Tuesdaynight Orchestra' with shows every month at 'The Sounds' in Brussels. They record a cd in February 2008. Three compositions of Tom Van Dyck are featured on this album, of which one was chosen as the title track: Band of Birds.
- In 2006, Saxkartel wins the contest of Tremplin Jazz d'Avignon. They received the 'Grand Prix du Jury', awarded by a jury that consisted of amongst others master-musicians Eric Legnini, Flavio Boltro and Pierrick Pedron, of Jazzman-editor Franck Bergerot and of Willy Schuiten of De Werf.
- In 2007, as a consequence they played the opening concert of the 2007 edition of the festival at the Palais des Papes, and recorded their new cd with Frank Vaganée on soprano saxophone and singer Tutu Puoane as a guest in Studio La Buissonne in Pernes-les-Fontaines, near Avignon.
- In November 2007 De Werf released this album entitled 'Yellow Sounds & Other Colours'.
- In June 2006 he instigates 't-unit7', a jazz septet with Michel Paré (tpt), Peter Delannoye (tmb), Fred Delplanq (tsax), Ewout Pierreux (pno), Mark Haanstra (bs) and Herman Pardon (dms). This band played every month in the Brussels jazzclub 'The Music Village', starting in September 2006.
- In May 2007, they recorded their first album 'the wind's caress' wich was released in February 2008 during a tour for JazzlabSeries in Flanders.
- Since 2009 he is a member of Scoreman Orchestra, led by Thomas De Prins.
- In September 2010 he records a cd 'little man/BIG WORLD with t-unit4: Ewout Pierreux on piano, Mark Haanstra on accoustic bass guitar and Herman Pardon on drums. Released March 2011.
Back to the overview <